Saturday, May 14, 2011

Divergent

Divergent (Divergent, #1)Divergent by Veronica Roth
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Hands down, the best book I've read since the Hunger Games. All of the advertisements were right on the money.

Divergent is a book unlike any other that I've read. It leaves you questioning who you are as a person and what's really important to you. It also shows why having a variety of traits and values shape the person you are.

Right away, the reader is taken into a new world in the Abnegation faction. It might as well be a crime to look at yourself in a mirror in the selfless place. But soon you are also introduced to the 4 other factions, each of which has one outstanding characteristic. And it is our main character's job, Beatrice, later known as Tris, to choose which one to spend the rest of her life in. But is it really a choice when the 5 options are predetermined?

For most teens, this decision is an easy one. Each person is given a test that will leave you will one result. Most pick this result as their faction. The test doesn't do it's job for Beatrice though. She could belong in one of three different factions. She is Divergent. And being Divergent could mean death.

Through triumph and loss, Tris has to realize who true self, and she has some help along the way. (This book definitely isn't lacking in the romance department either. Which is good because I need my hot imaginary men.) All of the characters were brilliantly written. I knew what each of them would say if I had a conversation with them.

I can't wait for the sequel that I'm expecting to be as breathtaking as the first. Veronica Roth, thank you for the gift of this book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment