Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Clockwork Prince

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Cassandra Clare has done it again. After loving The Mortal Instruments series so much, I didn't think it was possible, but The Infernal Devices has proved itself to be even better. The characters have found a way into my heart and rooted themselves there in a way that no other author has been able to accomplish.

To start out, there's Tessa Gray. She has developed so much from the weak and innocent girl that she was at the beginning of Clockwork Angel. The betrayal of her brother Nate, her development of her ability to Change, and her new training with the Lightwood brothers has made her into a fighter. She is not useless and such an easy target in battles any longer. And when it comes to her love dilemma...I'm completely for Will, but the strength with which her emotions are delivered cause even myself to be torn. (When I take a step back though, I know I will always be rooting for Will.)

And then there's Will Herondale himself. Much more of his background is revealed, and we learn that he has been forced to distance himself from everyone in his life that may care for in the slightest way in fear that it could lead to their death. For 5 years he pushed everyone away, causing him to keep all his feelings to himself and make him into a hardened shell. When he finally has the chance to open up...it can only be too late *insert ominous music here*. He's so hot *insert FAN GIRL SCREAM here*.

I'm sorry James/Jem Carstairs, but I have no good words for you right now. You have prevented Will and Tessa from being together, but I still can't hate you since you are such a gentleman and will always treat Tessa right and the way that she deserves. I hate you for that, but I also love you. Please die from opium now. Thank you.

As for the main plot, there is definitely no shortage of action. A spy lurks under the roof of the institute once again, automatons result in tragic moments, and one of Henry's inventions finally work. Thank goodness. And at the perfect time as well. I honestly think this is my favorite scene in the entire book. This small moment of glory is short-lived, but it was deserved by such a sensitive yet vital character who does not see enough action.

Readers will not be disappointed by this book. Even though you may think you've seen all that Cassandra Clare can deliver in Shadowhunter world, but you are ever so wrong.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment