Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Circle

The CircleThe Circle by Dave Eggers

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


So I went on a bit of a reading hiatus, which I'm not very proud of if I do say so myself. That being said, The Circle re-inspired me to reenter the world of books.

The story starts with one Mae Holland earning a job at a company called the Circle (with the help of a favor from her former college roommate Annie). The campus of the circle seems like absolute perfection. There are top notch facilities for employee to utilize and even rooms where employees can spend the night if they just don't feel like going home. With numerous parties, there is no down time, and employees are expected to be as social as possible, zinging, commenting, posting, and sharing their experiences with those around them and with people who would otherwise be unable to do these activities. To withhold information and documentation about such an experience is considered selfish. When Mae meets the mysterious Kalden, everything is kicked up a notch...and to go further than that is to spoil the magic of The Circle, in my opinion.

I think what I loved so much about this book is that fact that it relates to society today. The online world is becoming one that takes up a good portion of my life as a teenager in public school. I'm going to college next year, and I use my phone and Facebook to keep in contact with those that I will be spending a lot of time with next year. After reading this book, let's just say that I was inspired to keep my phone out of reach a little more often and keep up face-to-face interaction with those around me. The experience of that can't be matched by a bright screen (as I sit here writing this review on a computer and talking on Skype with some friends I play League of Legends with...oops). In any case, this book made me take a second look at my life, the way I spend it, and also at the government and what's going on there these days...

Anyways, I highly, highly recommend this book to any readers looking for something more, something that will make them think. The Circle is more mature than what I have read in the past, and it was a very pleasant change of pace. Happy reading(:



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment